art strives to get closer to the mystery of reality.” —John-Paul II
With its quarters established on the French Riviera, this mobile residency will radiate in the local area to provide artists with a rich and inspiring experience, including the discovery of some of the gems of the world’s artistic patrimony, from medieval to contemporary, encounters with living masters, times of solitude to contemplate the beauty of nature, conversations and workshops with artists from all over the world.
- Marc Chagall - The Descent from the Cross
The residency will be based in Pignans, a charming 12th century village located at the heart of the French Riviera, from April 22 to 29, 2014. This “cultural pilgrimage” will include three full days of cultural extravaganza...
- 1 day in the Vence area: visit of the Maeght Foundation, the Matisse Chapel, the medieval village of Saint-Paul and its contemporary art galleries, the tomb of Marc Chagall...
- 1 day in Antibes: visit of the Picasso Museum, where we shall also admire the very last painting of Nicolas de Stael, The Concert ; visit of the Hartung Foundation...
- 1 day in Aix-en-Provence, where we will have access to the extraordinary site of Chateau Lacoste, an award-winning vineyard that is home to some the art world’s greatest: Andy Goldsworthy, Sean Scully, Tadao Ando, Guggi, Ai Weiwei (in progress), Richard Serra, among many others...
The rest of our time will be shared between encounters and visits in the Pignans area (including the legendary “Thoronet” abbey and a meeting with its famous gregorian cantor, Damien Poisblaud), talks and group conversations, and creative time for individual or collaborative work.
At the end of the week, a cultural evening will enable participants in the residency to share their work in a creative way with a broad audience from the Pignans area.
- Thoronet Abbey
Registration fee for the week is 500 USD.
This includes: housing , meals  transportation costs during the week and museum fees. Travel costs are the responsibility of each individual artist.
 Participants will be housed at the Heart’s Home facility in Pignans, in rooms with one to 3 other people of the same sex ; additional individual rooms will be provided by neighbors and families from Pignans. While it is not possible for us to provide individual rooms for each participant, please let us know if this is a sine-qua-non condition for you.
 Let us know ahead of time of any special dietary requirement you may have. Online registration will start on March 3rd through the Heart’s Home USA website, and close on March 23rd or whenever we have reached our maximum capacity.
You may also choose to pay a support fee of 600 USD to help our artist friends from The Ukraine to take part in the residency. (In addition to the bad economy and political unrest, they have also to pay visa fees to go to France.)
There is limited room for people wishing to stay in Pignans until Friday, May 2nd. The additional fee is $90. We will attribute these rooms on a first-come first-served basis.
The residency will start on the morning of April 22nd. Participants should arrive in Pignans on Monday, April 21st. Due to other activities held at the Heart’s Home center in Pignans, there will be no housing available before Monday the 21st.
There may be one van picking up participants at the airport in the afternoon of April 21st. Time will be determined according to flying times, in order to be as convenient as possible for as many participants as possible.
For those who will arrive in Pignans by their own means, here is how to get there without getting lost (hopefully).
The address of the Heart’s Home center is:
8 place de la Mairie
Tel : 04 94 48 81 67
- 1). from Nice Airport
a. Take a train from the airport to Nice-Ville (last stop, 35min, fare is 6 euros) Train leaves from Terminal 2 (quai 4) and Terminal 1 (quai 1) every half hour.
b. From Nice-Ville, take a train to Pignans On April 21st, Pignans-bound trains leave from Nice at 10:23am ; 10:57am ; 12:21pm ; 13:55pm ; 15;34pm ; 15:34pm ; 16:55pm and 17:55pm. The fare is something between 20 and 30 euros, and it takes from 2 to 3 hours to get to Pignans, depending on the train.
c. Once in Pignans, follow the blue dots on the google map to get to 8, Place de la Mairie.
- 2). from Paris
On April 21st, trains for Pignans leave from Paris-Gare de Lyon at 10:49am ; 12:49 pm ; 14:49pm
Fare varies from 60 to 100 euros, approximately. You will have one transfer in Toulon. Travel time varies from 4:40 and 5:30 hours. Once in Pignans cf. info above, #1c.
- 3). from Marseille Airport Take a train (“navette”) from the airport to St Chales train station in Marseilles. Trains depart every 20 minutes, and the fare is about 10 euros. Then from St Charles, take a train to Toulon. They run on an hourly schedule, and it takes about 45 minutes and 18 euros to get to Toulon. Once in Toulon, take a train to Pignans Once in Pignans cf. info above, #1c.
If you need help...
If your cell phone company does not provide service in France, you can buy a “Carte téléphonique” (phone card) in Nice, and call us from a phone booth (they are easy to find in airport or train stations). If you get lost, give us a call!
If you need more information about how to get from point A to point B in France (and in English), the train schedules, fares, etc. you can use the website http://www.rome2rio.com/; it comes very handy.
- Oakroom - Andy Goldsworthy Chateau la Coste